No. of Recommendations: 0
I currently have a 401k (about $12,000) which I left intact when I left my former employer. Considering the fund options (the guaranteed government securities has the highest return for the year - what does that tell you!)and a letter I recieved today that two of the funds are getting a new manager, I don't think that I could do any worse on my own. I know that if I convert to a ROTH IRA I have to do it by the end of the year and can spread the tax over four years. I have a substantial increase in salary this year but AGI will still fall in the 28% bracket - next year will be iffy. I'm 54 but don't expect to retire any time soon. Can I roll this into a self-directed IRA and make contributions or do I have to set up a new IRA in order to make contributions? If I have DRIP's in a self-directed IRA do the dividends count towards the amount that I can contribute? I like the ROTH IRA since it has inheritance advandages but ---?
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.