No. of Recommendations: 0
This is just a note to say, "It can be done."

About six months ago, I sent out a message to the person who handles our company's 401K requesting that a S&P 500 Index Fund (with way-low annual fees, of course) be added to our 401K choices. I also Cc'ed an internal mailing list of employees who are active (as opposed to passive) investors - kind of an on-line investment club, but without the formality.

Initially, I got the Wise response regarding the need to let mutual fund professionals manage my retirement funds in the way they see fit. While I made my case, I was pleasantly surprised that the on-line investors took up the index fund cause in a big way. I mean a BIG way - I hardly had to say another word, I just let them carry the ball. Many of them made the point that our retirement funds ought to be working as hard as possible for us and that an index fund would be a good way to put them to work.

I'm am very happy to report that commencing October 1, the company I work for will offer an S&P 500 Index fund as a 401K option. The amount of effort expended on my part was minimal - mostly just raising the issue. The others on-line contributed their concerns, but again the effort they expended was minimal. The one who really had to work on this was the woman heading up our 401K program. I made sure to send her a note (once again Cc'ing the on-line investment folks) thanking her not only for listening, but for actually doing something about it.

It's kinda nice when things work out.

Rip
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.