Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am under contract to purchase a 4 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath for my two children and myself at $149,000.

I am also receiving a divorce settlement which include 2 small retirement accounts totaling about $15,000. I want to roll over one account with about $8,800 and get the cash from the smaller account $6,000 to have available for emergencies and for helping me with closing costs.

I can roll over both accounts and save the penalty fee and the 20% taxes that need to be paid, however, I am scraping the bottom of the barrel to come up with the $4,000 I need to close. I will have used most of my savings for that.

I just don't know what would be the best thing to do for the retirement monies. I'm wondering whether to roll over both accounts, only one account, or to cash both of them out and put more down on my condo. It just seems that I would be getting a bigger return on my money if I keep some of it in a 401K...I'm borrowing the money at 5% and some of the 401Ks are making 10 to 19%.

Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.