Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My grandmother is a retired teacher and has two annunities. A unqualified annunity and a qualified 403(b). She is 74 years old and wants to start taking the money out. I advised her not to do a lump distribution because of the taxes and Alternative Minimum Taxes. The minimum distributions are 10yrs (unqualified) and 5yrs (403B).

She wants the money to go to her childern and grandchildren. But doesn't want us to pay estate taxes, which is why she decided on taking the distributions now. What is the best way to get the money out of the annunity? Will the gains be subject to capital gain taxes or ordinary income? Any information would be helpful. Thanks
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.