Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Background information ...

I am an employee for the state of Nevada. I can start either one of these plans, but there will be no matching funds. (If I do a 457, my funds will not be touchable if the state somehow goes belly up.) Current plans are to stay employed by the state for at least the next several years. (The private sector or the county might pay more, but the state offers great benefits.)

Current retirement planning: On track to make the max contribution to my roth IRA. In 2 more years I will be vested in the state retirement plan (in Nevada, if you're a state employee, you don't pay SS. Money is put into the state retirement plan instead.)

Current debts: Other than my mortgage, none.

I've met the Valic agent here in town. I've been to their website. They have a nice selection of mutual funds, bond funds, and even some index funds. All of these funds are no-load.

At this point in time I can afford to invest $150/mo. (I plan to up this a little bit every year.) I plan to be working at least 30 more years.

So ... (drumroll please)

Which kind of retirement plan would you start and why?

Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.