Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I want to start a 403b in an indexed Mutual Fund with a no-load company. Where do I find these companies? How do I make a choice as to what company to invest with? I am soooooo confused!!!
Print the post Back To Top
Dear LEG - First check with the personnel department where you work, because many employers (schools & non-profits) sometimes limit the number of 403b providers they'll authorize (in order to limit the number of individual payments they'll make every 2 weeks). This may make the selection process simpler. Good luck. PP
Greetings, LEG, and welcome. You asked:

<<I want to start a 403b in an indexed Mutual Fund with a no-load company. Where do I find these companies? How do I make a choice as to what company to invest with? I am soooooo confused!!!>>

I agree with Peppermintpatty. Start first with your benefits folks to see what options are available in your 403b plan. If there is none, then you may want to ask if they will send your contributions to what's known as a 403b(7) account to an agency like Vanguard, who accepts such an account and who has the best, low-cost S&P 500 Index fund available (at least IMHO). If they say "No, you must use our options," then there's still a way around that. Just let us know, and we'll tell you what needs to be done.

Regards….Pixy
If they say "No, you must use our options," then there's still a way around that. Just let us know, and we'll tell you what needs to be done.

Let us know! My company still has us investing in Oppenheimer Quest (HORRIBLE RETURNS AND HIGH FEES). We are trying to change it, but the process may take six more months.

mcadoo11
Mcadoo11 writes:

<<If they say "No, you must use our options," then there's still a way around that. Just let us know, and we'll tell you what needs to be done.>>

Let us know! My company still has us investing in Oppenheimer Quest (HORRIBLE RETURNS AND HIGH FEES). We are trying to change it, but the process may take six more months.

Let's take the full quote first, and that was:

"If there is none, then you may want to ask if they will send your contributions to what's known as a 403b(7) account to an agency like Vanguard, who accepts such an account and who has the best, low-cost S&P 500 Index fund available (at least IMHO). If they say "No, you must use our options," then there's still a way around that. Just let us know, and we'll tell you what needs to be done."

I was addressing future contributions there. As to existing balances, they can be transferred to a vehicle known as a 403b(7) account with a mutual fund that accepts such an account. Both Vanguard and Fidelity do, and both have a transfer kit they will send on request. If your present 403b account contains only your contributions via salary reduction, then there should be no problem transferring your balance. The transfer must be from custodian-to-custodian, but the 403b(7) provider will show you how to do that. OTOH, if there is an employer match to your contributions or if only the employer makes contributions, then that money may be required to stay within the current option. Your salary reduction money, though, can be moved. The fund of your choice will help you do so. Be aware that even if you can move the money, your employer does not have to make future contributions to anything except the existing plan options. That means you may have to do transfers on a periodic basis to get the funds to the new 403b(7) account.

Regards….Pixy