No. of Recommendations: 0
I work at a college and have 403(b) options available in addition to a good state retirement plan. I already tax shelter my required contribution to the state retirement plan. I have been working for 20 years at various colleges but have only become vested in the retirement plan at my current place of employment due to frequent changes of jobs in my early working years(I've worked here 10 years). I can afford to contribute the maximum ($9500)to a 403(b) and have the option of investing the funds in a no-load mutual fund. Should I do it? Or should I take the portion of my salary that I'd be contributing to the 403(b), pay taxes on it, and invest it elsewhere? My employer doesn't match any portion of my 403(b) contributions. Any suggestions?
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.