Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 5
My Fellow Fools,
I opened a 403B annuity 7 years ago with Massachusetts General Life. They were bought out by Conseco in 1997 and that's when things began going downhill--no quarterly statements anymore (not even annual statements), no access by their phone reps to my computer files, no letter of loan satisfaction when I paid off a loan a few ago on the annuity--you get the picture.

The plan of action is to get my money from Conseco and put it somewhere else. Any suggestions?

Currently, with the annuity, I can borrow about 65% of the money I have invested in the annuity at 2% interest. This came in handy the last time I wanted a car loan. I simply borrowed from myself at this low interest rate. And, since I was starting a new business, when I became strapped for cash, I was able to miss several loan payments without it affecting my credit rating. Also, I earned interest on the entire amount I had invested, even though much of it was still loaned out to me.

I understand VanKampen has a 403B plan that I could roll my money into. I would have access to 90% of the money for a loan. However, it's a managed fund and would cost me 1.6% of my earnings. Does anyone out there in Fooldom know how I can have my cake and eat it too?
mjolm
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.