Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
MIL has a couple of years before she hits 70 1/2. She works at a university and asked me recently what I thought she should do once she is forced to start taking minimum distributions from her 403b retirement plan.

She is considering one of two options:

1) she retires and her DH keeps working
2) she continues to work, and her DH also keeps working

In both cases, she really doesnt need the distribution, as her DH will continue to work.

Question to the board:
Is there any way to put off taking the hit on taxes? I am fairly certain that she cant roll over distributions into an IRA, etc, especially as I believe they are above all the limits for traditional IRA anyway. She is already maxing out her 403b.

Barring a roll-over into a tax shelter... Are there conservative, tax-preferential investments to minimize the tax hit? We are open to any other suggestions as well :-)

I have been looking at the retirement boards, but I didnt have any luck finding a similar question.... Thanks in advance!

Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.