Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 41
For me, April 15th marked the end of my 40th tax season. And it was the last. I'll be retiring this year; I'll be 62 this summer. The exact date and other details are to be determined. I'll be leaving sometime after May 15, but definitely by October 15. I told them I'd stay around to get extensions done if they wanted, and definitely through May 15 to get the nonprofit returns done. After October - we're into the planning phase for next year-end, and I won't be a part of it, so they'd better have my replacement in place by then.

Odd, how your mind compresses and expands things. Each tax season has been long, slow, and stressful. But in some ways the 40 years has gone by in one big blur.

The biggest change has been in technology, of course. Amazing, to think back to 1975 and think of the things we used to do by hand. And the things we do now by email that didn't exist back then.

Tax laws? They were complicated and ridiculous 40 years ago, too. And they changed all the time, too. THAT hasn't changed.

Back then we had income averaging, maximum tax, minimum tax (different from AMT) and 10-year averaging on lump-sum distributions. And the federal estate tax applied to many more people than today.

And the IRS audited more returns than they do now. And generally did a better job of most things. That's because in the 1970's, they were using 1960's technology. Compared to 2015, when they're using 1980's technology, I guess.

So for tomorrow, back to work, for what I hope will be a normal work week.

Bill
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.