Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings!
First post here...please be gentle!
I am a government employee with about 30 years to retirement. I have a PERS 2 pension and just started contributing to my company's Deferred Compensation program offered by T.Rowe price.
I put all of my contributions (about $1440 yearly) into an S&P 500 Index Fund, which was easy because they only offered ONE through deferred comp.
I realize I need to learn more about investing, and many things I've seen so far on TMF talk about doing Index Funds until then.
T. Rowe's representative mentioned that I could not monitor the performance of the exact fund I contribute to because it's a special plan for gov't employees. (?) He did say that I could watch a similar plan T. Rowe Price offers with the ticker PREIX.
Feedback would be appreciated, and yes I have heard about the upcoming online retirement seminar. It does sound interesting.
As another goal, I am looking to save up 6 months salary for emergency cash, then move it to a money market acount when I have enough to open one.
I just wanted to get started doing something about retirement and emergencies.
Thank you ahead of time for your comments.

Veronica

Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.