No. of Recommendations: 0
4aapl wrote:
Are you sure it's a dead motherboard on the 21"? It seems to me that if it were a dead motherboard, you wouldn't be able to boot the machine in target mode.

I went through the trouble of figuring it out about 9 months ago, so my memory is fuzzy. You're probably right that it's the video card, but it isn't so broken that it won't do the "Target Mode" moving firewire symbol. So far as I know all that's required for target mode to work is functional firmware and I don't know where that lives. In any case, usually when boards are messed up, it's a partial mess. Now power supplies, they just fail so it's simpler to understand.

In any case, the 21" is not usable as a computer and I should probably sell it for parts at some point. Fixing whatever is wrong with it is probably too expensive given its age.

-IGU-

Sorry, last question on this, which just came to mind. When the broken 21" iMac is in Firewire target mode, does a big orange firewire symbol bounce around on the screen?

You mentioned that the screen was on, but I didn't know if it was showing anything. If it is showing this, then the video card is still working at some level. But back to the land of maybes, either the motherboard or the video card could work at a low level or with light load, but then overheat.

Aaron
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.