No. of Recommendations: 0
4APPL said:

What is the best State to retire in, from a tax standpoint?

The problem is that it isn't cut and dry. Since there's state income tax, property tax,sales tax, and various other fee's here and there (any on your car, gas, phone?, etc)the total tax is dependent on your spending habit.

I could not agree with him more. The tax tables ranking each state if pretty much useless to me. My wife plugged in our retirment budget spreadsheet numbers into another spread sheet that has all the various taxes for two states and came up with a $14,000 overall tax savings (for our particular situation) between CA and WA. The big reasons were

1) we are not big consumers
2) a house of the same size in WA is cheaper than
calif bay area and thus the absolute taxes as a dollar
amount is cheaper too.

So I agree with 4appl, they only way to calculate this is to take your individual spending habits and size of house, old car vs. new car, etc and plug it in for each state.

Also those numbers are represented as a percentage of income. They don't tell you what income level it is based on. Is it the average income for that state or the average income across the US?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.