Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
In general, I send 4th quarter estimated taxes to the IRS in December, instead of January when they're due. So, for my dad, my plan was to send in his $4k ($3k Fed'l and $1k State) for 4th quarter 2017 this month.

However, a couple of years ago he sold a house with an installment loan, and the principal amount of $250k is due to him at the end of this year. For a number of reasons, I don't think the buyer will be sending him that amount until Spring 2018. So I figured I should just send in the $4k now, so it's deductible for 2017.

But what if I do that, and the $250k arrives on December 31, 2017? Then he'd owe an additional $40k Fed'l.
- Could I send the $40k by the Jan 16, 2018, due date? That would make two 4th-quarter payments. Would the IRS accept the 2nd payment, or would I have to wait until I file his 2017 taxes (in March 2018)?
- If I can't send a 2nd 4th-quarter payment, would there be a penalty for underpayment?

Thanks!
YG

P.S. I checked Pub 505, but wasn't able to figure it out from there.
P.P.S. The add'l $40k figure is from Dad's CPA. I will of course ask her the above questions, but sometimes her answers aren't clear - but Dad's used her for decades, and I'm not inclined to change horses now.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.