Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
I have a question regarding a fairly safe investment for funds which I will need within the next 3-5 years. I started saving for a remodel project about 6 months ago with $5k initially, and now plan to add about $500 per month. My goal is to preserve the principal, but earn enough return to guard against inflation.

Initially, I opened a Vanguard account with the beginning invested in VIPSX (Vanguard inflation-protected securities). I anticipated the account may yield between 2-3%, but to my surprise it's yielded around 8-10% (haven't figure exactly because the account actually started at $8k, then I withdrew $3k 3 mos. later, now its worth about $5.4.)

My plan was to keep adding the $500 or so per month into that account. However, I've been hearing about this "treasury bubble" and now wonder if I should be diversifying in bonds a bit.

I read through the FAQs on this board - they were GREAT! Thank you so much "Loki?" for posting them. From all that reading, it seems as though I am relatively safe from catastrophe investing in bond funds - as yields go up, the NAV goes down, BUT yield and NAV seem will probably compensate enough to at least preserve principal. I am sure this is over-simplifying, but I don't want to do Master's-level research on this sum of money.

OK, my questions (thanks for reading if you are this far):

1) Would it make sense to use VIPSX and VFSTX (short-term bond fund) to adequately protect principal and protect against interst for the short-term (3-5 years)?
2) Is there a better plan? I looked at CD rates, but ~1% yields don't guard against inflation IMHO.
3) Is it possible that there is a bubble in bonds that would cause my principal to deteriorate, specifically I worry about that when my supposedly safe and boring investment into VIPSX has yielded 2-3 times what I would expect for a slightly riskier savings accounts.

Any thoughts, questions, or suggested links for more info would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

John (cheezyches)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.