Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Fools,

I mentioned I was thinking about openning a Netbank account to garner their $50 sign on bonus last weekend. Well, my plans were delayed and I was only now reading the terms for the account in detail. Turns out there's a $25 termination fee if you keep the account open less than 6 months. That would eat up half the bonus, considering I have a deadline for return of the funds.

What's more, there's actually a $5/month bill-pay inactivity fee. I'm unclear as to whether there has to be billpay tied to a money market account; but if so, I would either have to start routing other funds through the account just so I can pay bills, or I'd actually loose $5 when I had to take the $5K back to pay off MBNA -- where I borrowed the cash from at 0% to start with.

Considering that NetBank's Money Market account is only paying 2.75%, I'm now considering it a bad deal. If I had the $5K for a little longer and I was sure I wouldn't have to use their billpay and/or pay some inactivity fee, it might be worth the hassle. As it is I'm scratching NetBank off my list.

NetBank customers! Please tell me why I'm wrong.

- Joel
Cross-posted to the CC Board
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.