Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I may not be the quickest out of the gate, but while my daughter is still in her 21st month I'd like to get this 529 savings plan rolling.

My main focus is clearly a good return, low-costs and as many tax breaks now and then as possible.

I'm currently in NY, but own properties in OR and AZ. I suppose I could call any of them my place of residents.

Any suggestions on the 'best' plans to look at? Is there a board favorite. I'm sure this is a tired old question asked many times, but any equally old answers will do. :)
Print the post Back To Top
affordablemagic: "I may not be the quickest out of the gate, but while my daughter is still in her 21st month I'd like to get this 529 savings plan rolling.

My main focus is clearly a good return, low-costs and as many tax breaks now and then as possible.

I'm currently in NY, but own properties in OR and AZ. I suppose I could call any of them my place of residents."

I suppose not.

"Any suggestions on the 'best' plans to look at? Is there a board favorite. I'm sure this is a tired old question asked many times, but any equally old answers will do. :)"

The plans keep changing, and much depends upon your state or residence.

Two excellent sites for doing research

http://www.savingforcollege.com/ (Joe Hurley, the originator of this site, formerly posted on this board [years ago], and he has since sold the URL)

http://clarkhoward.com/topics/529_guide.html

I have posts on this oard from when I did my research; when finally chose Utah's plan (in part because there are no state income tax benefits in Texas).

Regards, JAFO
I have posts on this oard from when I did my research; when finally chose Utah's plan (in part because there are no state income tax benefits in Texas).

Do you have to use a program in the state you live in?

In my case the prospective student (still a toddler) lives in another state. A lot can happen in the next 15 years (moving residences for either one of us), and I've never been clear on which state to use.
Rael137:

<<<I have posts on this oard from when I did my research; when finally chose Utah's plan (in part because there are no state income tax benefits in Texas).>>>

"Do you have to use a program in the state you live in?"

No. It may be advantageous from a state tax law perspective, but you are not required to use the program in the state in which you live.

"A lot can happen in the next 15 years (moving residences for either one of us), and I've never been clear on which state to use."

"You pays your money and takes your chances." Popeye

But some basic research can help.

Regards, JAFO