Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I got a letter from the Colorado Tax people requesting more information about my 2001 state income tax deduction for my 529 contributions. They want proof that it was actually me who made the deposit, and would like something like a copy of the cancelled checks.

The institution I wrote the checks from did not give me copies of cancelled checks, and after much running around they claim not to be able to find copies from that far back. So all I have is an account statement from the institution showing that checks were cashed, without saying who the money was sent to, and an account statement from the 529 showing deposits of the same amount on similar days. I will send copies of these in, and maybe they will be accepted and maybe not.

Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed? The total amount of taxes at issue is about $200, plus they threaten interest and penalties. Is it worth it to hire an expert? What kind of expert should I hire?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.