Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
So my DW and I have been blessed with twins, just a few weeks ago.

I'm thinking about starting 529 accounts for the kids. We live in Texas, with no state income tax, so we might as well pick and choose among the 529 plans of the various 50 states, and it looks like Utah's UESP is the best option from where I stand.

It looks like we can squirrel away up to 24,000 a year, or up to 120,000 in any 5 year period, up to a total maximum of 330,000, per child. Am I reading this correctly?

We're in the fortunate situation that we actually could ( well it would be a stretch, but we *could*) manage to put away 2000 per month (24k per year) per child, although probably half, or even one quarter of that, seems more reasonable to me. Our retirement contributions are already maxed, FWIW.

Given the significant tax disadvantages of having unused leftover money in a 529, what's a *reasonable* target contribution for these kids? It seems to me that making the maximum contribution is likely overkill, and could very well result in unused money.

There are many sketchy assumptions involved in the calculations:
Future rate of return (heck if I know!)
Future rate of increase in college costs (heck if I know!)
The educational accomplishments of my children ( I would hope they both go to 4 year universities and then follow that with graduate or professional school, but you never know...)
Whether the kids go to an in-state public university, or not. (they could do a whole lot worse than UT Austin, or Texas A&M, but I won't rule out private schools.)

What do y'all think?
Print the post  

Announcements

Paying For School Guide
Trying to Tackle Tuition? The Motley Fool's Guide to Paying for School will help you fight those rising education costs.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.