Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 19
...of shoving 75-year-old grandpas to the ground.

Wait wut?

They didn't resign from the Emergency Response Team because of that outrageous behavior, they resigned in support of the two officers who were suspended without pay after shoving 75-year-old Martin Gugino and cracking his head, leaving him to bleed on the sidewalk.

Please note: they are still Buffalo police officers, just no longer on the Emergency Response Team (so they can still slap around 75-year-old grandpas).

Welcome to the bully culture.

#BeBest

https://www.wivb.com/news/local-news/buffalo/entire-bpd-emer...
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
If they can't fulfill their duties, they shouldn't be officers. AT ALL.
Buffalo has a VERY racist police force...

I was in Starbucks in downtown Buffalo a couple years ago and a bunch high school kids were causing a disturbance and manager must have called the police...

Buffalo gestapo came in bodily removed 2 boys (both black) and left the rest (all white except for 1 Asia girl)...
Well . . . I think they have provided clear indication that our police forces have, in fact, become a culture of angry bullies who hold American citizens in contempt. That's exactly what many of us have been saying. The Buffalo police who resigned in mass just provided significant proof that we were always correct. I hope we purge all of these petty, violent bullies from our police forces.
"They didn't resign from the Emergency Response Team because of that outrageous behavior, they resigned in support of the two officers who were suspended without pay after shoving 75-year-old Martin Gugino"

My understanding is that it is their view that they were told to clear the square. Then their war fighting (all protests are the enemy) training kicked in.. So in a way, the cops in the special unit had training that may not have allowed them the flexibility to "clear the square" in a more human fashion.

Still the two cops should not have shoved the old guy, but used some other method short of violence to control the situation... (Did the training for that special unit teach that kind of flexibility?

If they had vague orders, or orders that included the idea of "teaching the protesters a lesson", and training that focused only on violence and force then the cops on the special team should be pissed at the department as well..

Because in this case neither the cops, nor the city government, nor the people of buffalo, nor the rest of the US were well served.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Still the two cops should not have shoved the old guy, but used some other method short of violence to control the situation... (Did the training for that special unit teach that kind of flexibility?

If they had vague orders, or orders that included the idea of "teaching the protesters a lesson", and training that focused only on violence and force then the cops on the special team should be pissed at the department as well..

Because in this case neither the cops, nor the city government, nor the people of buffalo, nor the rest of the US were well served.

I can understand the shove, especially if the guy was truly 'an agitator'. Being a cop is a very tough job, and anything can happen in a moment of high emotional tension.

BUT once the man was obviously injured directly from the shove by police, was laying on the ground unmoving and bleeding from his head, the "serve and protect" mantra SHOULD HAVE KICKED IN. I was truly horrified the I saw the cops walking by and ignoring the injured man on the ground. That should simply never happen. Ever. I don't ever expect this in America. It is intolerable.

All involved should have been disciplined, and the Buffalo Chief of Police should use this opportunity to train and retrain and be damn sure that all officers understand they are there to serve and protect, first and foremost.

The Mayor should be recalled.
they resigned in support of the two officers who were suspended without pay after shoving 75-year-old Martin Gugino and cracking his head, leaving him to bleed on the sidewalk.
As noted in another thread, this is the story being told by the union but is not necessarily accurate.

Two Buffalo Police ERT members say resignation was not in solidarity with suspended officers
“I don’t understand why the union said it’s a thing of solidarity. I think it sends the wrong message that ‘we’re backing our own’ and that’s not the case,” said one officer with whom we spoke.
“We quit because our union said [they] aren’t legally backing us anymore. So why would we stand on a line for the City with no legal backing if something [were to] happen? Has nothing to do with us supporting,” said another.
...“The City, DA Flynn, they’re not representing those guys at all. They have to find their own lawyers, they have to come out of pocket.”
...“You can’t ask people to do something and then when they do it and it goes bad then you just say they’re on their own,”

https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news/exclusive-two-buffalo-p...
“We quit because our union said [they] aren’t legally backing us anymore. So why would we stand on a line for the City with no legal backing if something [were to] happen? Has nothing to do with us supporting,” said another.

It reminds me of that famous JFK quote: Ask not how to serve your country, but how your union will protect you from prosecution.
It reminds me...
Sigh.

People who are in stressful and dangerous situations naturally want someone to have their back. Why would anyone do a such thankless job if they thought there was a realistic likelihood that they could be wiped out by a lawsuit? Who wants to risk their family becoming indigent?

The union knows this.
And so they pulled the liability insurance knowing full well how the officers would react.
And then, in Trumpian fashion, the union put out a press release saying that reaction was about "unity".
Because agenda über alles.
Sigh.

LOL. There is a 13 year old mean girl that lives next door who you remind me of because she often starts her sentences with a sigh - as if it is simply torture for her to respond to the other kids in the neighborhood. The neighbor kids on the other side of me are very polite and friendly and the children are often out playing in our cul-de-sac, so I have overheard the conversations on several occasions. The 13 year old mean girl also seems to think that her opinion is the only one that matters. She never really talks with the other kids, she simply sighs, shows disdain and often makes condescending remarks.

I would love to introduce you two some time. It would be very entertaining. . . unless you are that 13 year old mean girl. How would we know when you act so much alike?