Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
I was surprised to see AMSC stock down 15.4% at $5.97 a share. Then, I saw the news and was doubly surprised:

Under the terms of the settlement agreement, Sinovel has agreed to pay AMSC an aggregate cash amount in Renminbi (RMB) equivalent to $57.5 million, consisting of two installments. Sinovel has agreed to pay AMSC the first installment of $32.5 million by July 5, 2018, and has agreed to pay AMSC the second installment of $25 million (Second Payment) within ten (10) months after the U.S. District Court delivers the first sentence against Sinovel, which is expected to occur on July 6, 2018 (Second Payment Due Date). Mr. Wenyuan Wei, former Sinovel chairman and a current Sinovel shareholder, has delivered a letter of guarantee to AMSC for the Second Payment should Sinovel fail to make such payment by the Second Payment Due Date.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/amsc-announces-settlement-sin...

I guess the first way to look at this is to consider that AMSC has 21 million shares outstanding. So, there is now another $2.74 to go with the $34 million on AMSC's books.

The other way to look at this is how much has AMSC spent in legal fees and executive time over all the years they have been chasing Sinovel? I imagine it is a number larger that $57.5 million... Just a guess... This theft disrupted their business...

I am glad AMSC has this case off their back and money going to the bank. I still do not see where AMSC has a hot product in their current portfolio.

While looking for comments on this, I also found this from June 26th:

Through a grant program that encourages private industry to partner with university scientists, a research team from Florida State University’s Center for Advanced Power Systems and the Colorado-based Advanced Conductor Technologies LLC has demonstrated the first high-temperature superconducting direct current power transmission cable using ACT’s Conductor on Round Core (CORC) cable technology. The cables enable transmission of vast amounts of power at high currents that could be used to fuel power grids or help operate an all-electric ship for the US Navy, according to the team.

“The demonstration is an exciting development and a significant leap forward in achieving the required high-power densities in shipboard power transmission,” says CSA member Sastry Pamidi, associate director of CAPS and professor at FAMU-FSU College of Engineering. “CAPS has been developing the cryogenic helium gas circulation technology and superconducting power applications and established the state-of-the-art research facilities and supports ACT and other businesses to move the technology forward.”

https://www.cryogenicsociety.org/36526/news/new_superconduct...

There is plenty of competition for superconducting products...

W.D.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.