Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Several months ago a friend of mine showed me some IRS documentation on what he called a "72b trust" after the relevant section of the tax code. I've confirmed the trust name, however I cannot find any information on it at the IRS web site or Google. A key feature of the trust was you could sell appreciated assets, such as rental property, place the proceeds into the trust and defer tax on the appreciated proceeds until the money was distributed. Does anyone know if this really exists and if so does it go by another name?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.