Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
8.) Since you are unemployed, you might want to roll part of the amount to a ROTH IRA. Only IRAs can be converted. Moving part of the amount to an IRA would allow conversion to a ROTH.

9.) The "free" advisors are trying to obtain fees from your assets. Unless they are in an IRA they can not place you in load funds that will pay them commissions.

Well of course they want me to put my money with them. I would not be that foolish, however. What I am not going to do is roll over some of it into a Roth as I want to minimize tax consequences come April. I am already realizing capital gains by liquidating non-retirement investments on a monthly basis for living expenses, plus I will have some $6000 in UIB payments that I will owe full taxes on. My 7 months of payroll deductions will not cover prevent me from having a tax burden for the year. Adding $3000 of taxable income through a rollover would not be a good thing.

One other thing I think I have to worry about is the current state of the market. October tends to be a down period, so maybe now would not be the best time to sell all my 401k funds (although maybe a great time to buy rTIRA funds).

I will think about it for a week or so.


Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.