Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 62
I made an aborted suicide attempt.

I had been severely depressed for 6 months, after an 18 month period of significant emotional upheaval (dad died, relationship broke up suddenly, past medical history revealed to me, I didn't get promotion I thought I was entitled to).

I had been on Prozac for only about 3 months, but had been drinking to ease the pain (and I had told my shrink about this ... but it turns out he was dealing with his OWN issues, and therefore wasn't "there" for me).

One night ... it all came crashing down on me ... I took a combo of sleeping pills, Prozac and vodka ...

As I was drifting off ... I got scared ... turns out ... I wanted to live. I was rushed to the ER, then off to Payne Whitney for 17 days of intense rehab/therapy.

I've been "in recovery" ever since ... I'm much more stable now, but on every anniversary of this event ... I think back, and think about how dark a period that was for me. And I vow NEVER to give up on myself like that again.

Thanks for letting me share ... (hugs)

Diane
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.