No. of Recommendations: 1
I'm beginning to wonder if DH's language processing problems might be more than that. Here's the story...

First, you need to know that DH makes breakfast and that I have never used the monstrous Italian espresso maker & foamer that I got for him one Christmas about 7 years ago, in response to our missing the awesome coffees of France and Italy.

Anyway, a couple of days ago, I told DH that I would like him to change the ratio he's using of almond milk to half & half when he makes the foam for my latte (less half & half) (note that I can't drink milk--pretty severely lactose intolerant these days). I'm not sure he understood, but except for unwanted calories, not such a big deal right?

Yesterday I decided, and told him, that I wanted less foam altogether in my morning latte--brilliant solution, right? I explained carefully, as I sometimes have to do now as incoming language seems to be a problem for him sometimes as well as outgoing, that I wanted less almond milk & half & half in the container when he makes the foam to result in less foam. What I got was the same amount of almond milk and 1/2 & 1/2, but most of it wasn't made into foam. Like there's some tic that prevents him from putting less milk-equivalents into the container in which he makes foam. Being hopeful, I tried explaining again exactly what I wanted this morning in more detail, going through his process step by step. He did not understand. No matter how I tried, he did not understand. Although he says it is I who does not understand, and that nobody could understand what I'm saying.

I burst into a combination of laughing and crying. Laughing because it was just like a comedy routine (except I suppose for our rising frustration). Crying because I worry that this communication difficulty is the tip of the iceberg. And you know, this could be like a sci-fi story, where actually I'm the one who's crazy (let's face it--it was I who became semi-hysterical.... I think tomorrow I should be in the kitchen with him when he makes coffee and see where the process can be changed, coz obviously there's something amiss with suggesting using less almond milk, etc.

Note to self: call doctor this morning. Request a referral for an audiologist (hearing test) and try to get his neuro-psych appointment sooner than 3 months from now.

=alstro, drying her tears with a half smile on my face coz I can hear the noisy foamer now...and really my being a fuss-pot about my coffee is stupid...I'll just put the extra unwanted foam in an empty bowl or sumpin'...

PS--Just got my coffee. No foam, just a little almond milk & 1/2 & 1/2. And the ratio is the same as I used to get before I asked him to use relatively less 1/2 & 1/2. sigh.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Have you tried putting a "reminder note" where he'll see it when preparing the coffee?
No. of Recommendations: 2
Have you tried putting a "reminder note" where he'll see it when preparing the coffee?

I can't get him to understand what I want, so we're not up to reminding him of it. But thanks for thinking about this!

We weren't hungry for breakfast and just followed up the cafe au lait with kefir and vitamins. So we got hungry for lunch early.

He followed my instructions to a T (yes, a test of sorts, asking him to fix lunch with detailed specifications). Crisped up the last slice of Easter prime rib in the toaster oven and salted it, heated the rice a bit, and just took the chill off the cooked asparagus served with the last of the cold horseradish sauce*. Yum! And it helps me feel more positive about his cognition. Of course, it helps that I've also had my coffee ;-)

* horseradish sauce: stir freshly grated or jarred grated horseradish and minced onion into yogurt. I used 1 cup of Greek yogurt with 1/4 cup plain bottled horseradish (has only vinegar and salt in addition to horseradish), ~2-3 Tbsp minced onion and a little more salt. It's good on all sorts of plain vegetables, meat, chicken, and fish, on some omelets, even stirred into a soup to add creaminess and a little heat. Traditional horseradish sauce is made with sour cream with added acidification from lemon or vinegar, but since yogurt is already a bit sour and my horseradish already had a bit of vinegar, it seemed optimally sour to me. Anyway, a healthy way to dress up plain cooking.
"Like there's some tic that prevents him from putting less milk-equivalents into the container in which he makes foam. Being hopeful, I tried explaining again exactly what I wanted this morning in more detail, going through his process step by step. He did not understand. No matter how I tried, he did not understand. Although he says it is I who does not understand, and that nobody could understand what I'm saying." - alstromeria
-----------------

The way Bonnie and I would solve that problem is I would let her just start making her own coffee - which is what we've been doing for the last 39 years since I don't drink coffee.

I don't make coffee, it's that simple. Put whatever you want in it.

Art
No. of Recommendations: 1
Have you considered the benefits of a nice hot cup of tea?

Howie52
Success! He called me into the kitchen after he poured the almond milk and half & half combo into the pitcher to foam--actually a good thing. It took some 'splaining*, but I finally got him to pitch 1/4 of it, make the foam, give himself 3/4 of the milky foam, and me 1/4. And, Behold! This morning I had coffee similar to the great stuff in France and Italy, 2 shots of espresso with a thinnish layer of foam.

* I think my saying, "If I asked you to put half as much ketchup as usual on a hamburger, could you do it?" Geez. I'm thinking he should hold a soft pillow firmly over my face if I get like that...

=alstro, perhaps watches too much Bones, Castle and NCIS
Have you considered the benefits of a nice hot cup of tea?

LOL!!

Ah, but I need my morning mud. Cuppa Joe. Java. Wakey juice. Liquid lightning. Magic beans ;-)
"Have you considered the benefits of a nice hot cup of tea?

LOL!!

Ah, but I need my morning mud. Cuppa Joe. Java. Wakey juice. Liquid lightning. Magic beans ;-) "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

When you are up for a little change, try an English or Irish
breakfast tea blend.
Quite satisfying - in a non-coffee way.

Not as jolting though - tends to prepare one for the mid-morning nap.
And the mid-morning nap prepares one for the early brunch.

Howie52
This should continue through to lunch ---- on a busy day.