No. of Recommendations: 4
And it is coming today.

Anymouse

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/weather/topstories/hell-is-coming-...

‘Hell is coming’: Western Europe braces for unprecedented heatwave that could turn deadly

Alexandra Ma 6 hrs ago

Countries including France, Germany, Spain, Switzerland, and Portugal will experience a massive heatwave from Wednesday, with hot air coming from the Sahara Desert.

Temperatures are expected to rise as high as 40 degrees Celsius (104 degrees Fahrenheit) this week.

The heatwave is expected to be so bad that one Spanish meteorologist tweeted: "Hell is coming."

Some 15,000 people in France died when temperatures hit similar heights in August 2003. Officials in Paris have already put the city on high alert.

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
We spent twelve days in Rome last summer in weather like this and my Visa bill reflected we were hitting the gelato stand three times a day (and we saw more air conditioned museums than I previously knew existed in Rome).

This sort of weather seems to be becoming an annual event in Europe. That, paired with masses of tourists (including hordes of newly affluent Chinese), has about convinced us to avoid Europe during the summer from now on. Well, at least southern Europe (gonna be in central and northern when we get there from Africa later this summer).

Jeff
No. of Recommendations: 1
Countries including France, Germany, Spain, Switzerland, and Portugal will experience a massive heatwave from Wednesday, with hot air coming from the Sahara Desert.>/i>

Wonder who will be most impacted in the Women's World Soccer Cup?

Forecast temps are hot even for Texas. What humidity is expected?

We had heat indexes above 110F last week in the Dallas area.
Global warming is a fact of life in Seattle these days as well.

Seattle used to be perpetually overcast with frequent rain during the summer. Now we are experiencing much warmer weather, although we still have a ways to go to get to a Mediterranean climate:

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/98108:4:US
we still have a ways to go to get to a Mediterranean climate:

**** NOT SIGNED ****
No. of Recommendations: 5
I have just awakened in that hell.

Not just heat, but dry dusty blasting winds.

Here on Mallorca we call it a Xaloc (yes, a North African Arabic word from the people who lived near its origins on the margins of the Sahara Desert). Sirocco and other variants are the Europeanized versions of the same word.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirocco

Anomalous so early and strong this summer, the intensity is beyond shattering (have already heard insecure shutters shattering).

Like most of my town, I am inside, doors and windows tight shut with with cloths at cracks, preserving as much shade coolness moisture possible, thankful I already soaked potted patio plants yesterday while battening down.

Now I drink iced black coffee, twisting vainly to escape itching discomfort, trying not to surrender to feelings of utterly irrational murderous rage....

Being from Southern California with its Santa Ana winds I am used to the experience; our preeminent crime novelist Raymond Chandler nailed it [from his short story "The Red Wind"][bolding mine]:

There was a desert wind blowing that night. It was one of those hot dry Santa Anas that come down through the mountain passes and curl your hair and make your nerves jump and your skin itch. On nights like that every booze party ends in a fight. Meek little wives feel the edge of the carving knife and study their husbands' necks. Anything can happen. You can even get a full glass of beer at a cocktail lounge.

And just now, as I did "Preview Message" and edited, the town's dogs agreed to mostly howl and somewhat bark together in misery.

david fb
(not quite a meek housewife, but boy do I have the knives!)
It's cold, overcast, and rainy in Porto, Portugal. Not a leaf stirs.

The Captain
Captain,

Glad you are in the heavenly haven of Atlantic cooled Porto, far enough from the purgatorio of the Mediterranean coast.

david fb
Glad you are in the heavenly haven of Atlantic cooled Porto, far enough from the purgatorio of the Mediterranean coast.

Local warming and local cooling? 😇

The Captain
Local warming and local cooling? 😇

If they are in balance then you must be needing a parka about now.

david fb
We had heat indexes above 110F last week in the Dallas area.

Ouch

Twice in all the years I've lived in Halifax I recall the temperature had reached 38C (~100F for y'all). The first time was when I returned from Germany and the moving company guys were unloading our sea container. Those three guys worked hard and it was like an oven in the 40ft container. I kept them well supplied with cold lemonade and water.

What is really noticeable to me is the number on Nova Scotians buying portable A/C or heat pumps these days. Last summer was really bad here. One of our poor old widows informed me that she (and her old dog that her life centers around) couldn't survive another summer like that. She was going to buy a heat pump (over $6000 and maintenace issues with many features meant for a house) that I knew she could barely afford but someone talked her into so I convinced her to go with a high end 14,000 BTU portable (a tenth of the price) that I managed to get on sale at Amazon end of season in Dec and installed it for her a few weeks back. Her unit is one of the smaller ones in the building so it should me adequate for the purpose.

Anymouse
No. of Recommendations: 2
If you are interested, during this heat wave, you can see the live CO2 emissions from the various European countries' electricity systems (as well as many areas in the Americas, and some in Asia) in terms of grams of CO2 per kilowatt-hour.

After you get past the welcome screen, click on a particular country or region for more information.
https://www.electricitymap.org/?page=map&solar=false&...

In western Europe, France, Norway and Sweden show the greenest electricity. Germany, with all of its intermittent renewables (wind, solar) and coal, is around 300 grams/kwh. This is a near-live feed, so Europe is going into the nighttime hours now, and the electricity contribution from solar will be declining.

- Pete
And it is coming today.

Apparently it is still on location? I seem to recall that the current Pope claimed there is no hell so perhaps we should call it something else?

Anymouse <13C and raining here, it snowed in Medicine Hat, Alberta yesterday>

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/paris-bans-60percent-of...

Paris bans 60% of cars as heatwave continues to roast Europe

13 hrs ago

Europe continues to endure record-breaking temperatures as hot air from the Sahara engulfs the continent.

France, Germany, Poland and the Czech Republic have set temperature records for June and Spain has been trying to contain a major wildfire in the country's north east.

The French capital has seen temperatures soar past 40C (104F) and the local council has banned up to 60% of its cars to limit pollution that has been made worse by the heat.

Older and less efficient cars have been banned within the A86 second ring-road - which includes Paris and 79 towns around it - for as long as the hot weather lasts.

Only electric or hydrogen vehicles, petrol cars registered after January 2006 and diesel cars registered from January 2011 are allowed on the roads.

Some five million cars are affected, according to data firm AAA Data, but several drivers say they are ignoring the restrictions because the fines (€68 or £61 per car) are so low.
And now that Hell has moved on to Paris and Continental Western Europe, my island of Mallorca has delightedly moved to being merely one of the hottest circles of Purgatory.

[Being a mere medieval scholastic arriviste, Purgatory dropped out of official Papal cognizance and hence official existence long before Hell].

david fb
The heatwave is expected to be so bad that one Spanish meteorologist tweeted: "Hell is coming." Some 15,000 people in France died when temperatures hit similar heights in August 2003.

This time the death toll is reduced by some three orders of magnitude.

www.standard.co.uk/news/world/european-heatwave-2019-three-d...
At least three people have died as a heatwave likened to 'hell' swept across Europe , bringing with it temperatures of at least 40C....

French news outlet LCI said the three swimmers had died in separate incidents on beaches in southern France. A man aged 70 suffered a cardiac arrest in calm water and was believed to have been a victim of 'thermic shock' after coming into contact with the water. Two other people died in similar circumstances.

www.reuters.com/article/us-europe-weather-france-idUSKCN1TT1...
In Spain....in Valladolid, a man of 93 collapsed and died due to the heat, police said. And in a small town outside Cordoba, a 17-year-old died of heat-related effects after jumping into a swimming pool to cool off.

DB2
The heatwave is expected to be so bad that one Spanish meteorologist tweeted: "Hell is coming."

EU heading for large wheat crop despite early summer heatwave
www.reuters.com/article/europe-grains-harvest-idUSL8N24K2CG

DB2

French 2019 soft wheat crop to be 2nd largest in history – Agritel
www.brecorder.com/2019/07/30/513879/french-2019-soft-wheat-c...
Farmers in France, the European Union’s largest grain producer, will harvest their second largest soft wheat crop in history this year at 39.17 million tonnes, as a record-breaking heatwave failed to hurt yields, consultancy Agritel said on Tuesday.

DB2