Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 6
A representative from the company Guild Education was on CNBC saying that their latest studies have shown that 88 million jobs will disappear because of automation. Even with proper training companies will eventually just need fewer people. Granted Guild is in the education business but just go to any big box store and see how many selfserve checkouts they now have.

The second thing their studies have shown is that the Covid-19 $300 weekly bonus is NOT stopping job seekers but the lack of child care/school is the #1 issue.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 4
The second thing their studies have shown is that the Covid-19 $300 weekly bonus is NOT stopping job seekers but the lack of child care/school is the #1 issue.

Don't ya love dueling papers?

www.politico.com/news/2021/05/22/child-care-study-pandemic-4...
“School closures and lack of child care are not holding back the recovery,” said Jason Furman, a Harvard professor who chaired the Council of Economic Advisers in the Obama administration and co-authored the analysis. “And conversely, we shouldn’t expect a short-term economic bump from reopening schools and making child care more available.”

DB2
No. of Recommendations: 2
A representative from the company Guild Education was on CNBC saying that their latest studies have shown that 88 million jobs will disappear because of automation.

I’m sure this is true. I’m so sure because it has always been true. It takes fewer people to assemble a car, run a store, pave a road, build an airplane, sell advertising, run a radio station, produce a TV newscast, etc. And yet there are more cars, more stores, more roads, more airplanes, more advertising, more radio stations and streaming services, more news on television than ever before. And I suspect *total* employment in most of those areas is higher (pandemic year excepted.)

Even with proper training companies will eventually just need fewer people. Granted Guild is in the education business but just go to any big box store and see how many selfserve checkouts they now have.

Yeah, because being a cashier at Publix is such a great career. Probably fewer coal miners, too. Amy I worried about that? Not really.
No. of Recommendations: 1
The thing is in a strong Union state such as Rhode Island even the grocery store cashiers are unionized and get a decent benefit package. This cost is driving the shortsighted idea that these positions need to be eliminated. Shortsighted in the fact that if you no longer have a job you no longer will shop where you once worked. To save money you end up shopping at a dollar store or Walmart.
No. of Recommendations: 0
The thing is in a strong Union state such as Rhode Island even the grocery store cashiers are unionized and get a decent benefit package. This cost is driving the shortsighted idea that these positions need to be eliminated. Shortsighted in the fact that if you no longer have a job you no longer will shop where you once worked. To save money you end up shopping at a dollar store or Walmart.

</snip>

The only stuff I buy at the union grocery store near me is the "loss leaders" (i.e., items on sale) that cost less than the cheap store I usually shop at. Every else is 30%-50% more.

intercst