No. of Recommendations: 0
9. Nvidia’s booth had little/no mention of video games. Almost entire focus was on autonomous driving and AI (gaming was a highlight of the booth in 2017).

There might be a reason for that. This review caught my eye:

Opinion: Nvidia's Max-Q — Maximum efficiency, minimum performance?

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Opinion-Nvidia-s-Max-Q-Maximum...

...from my perspective this appears to be largely a gimmick for sales to customers — the work for cooling is there, I will never in my life discount this — but why wasn't it there before? Why are the 1080 Max-Q cards still called “GTX 1080” despite every known example performing like a GTX 1070? An average of 1400MHz on a 1080 (notebook) Max-Q is not a “slight” drop in performance for efficiency compared to a properly engineered laptop with a GTX 1080; it is a huge drop, approaching a 30 percent reduction in performance but for the same price! And, more importantly for marketing, for the same name.

I’ve been in the notebook enthusiast community for a long time and I’ve seen many things come and go. I think we pay more than enough for reduced performance and limited hardware already, and I consider this naming and pricing scheme deceptive, with emphasis on the pricing part.

It doesn't look like there's been much in terms of innovation in gaming as compared to last year, and yet are charging more for it. Probably why it wasn't brought up at CES possibly. What do you think?

Dominic
long NVDA
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.