Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
90% of the retirement and assisted living facilities we have looked at over the years last decade for my MIL won't tell you their cost. They don't even have an onsite sales function in most cases. Not exactly like the local car dealer or Kroger store.

My experience has been just the opposite. We've looked at dozens of places in the last year, in multiple states. 95% do not have prices listed ONLINE, but when I contact them and ask about specific floor plans, they do give a price, or at least a price range. The range is more relevant to assisted living, because it can vary significantly depending on how much care is needed. Say, administering of pills only, versus needing help dressing, transferring, showering, etc. And assisted living can require them to test the resident's abilities. State licensing can limit what things an assisting living can do for a resident.

We had one we called about that the "first franchise contact" person gave us a price, but when they transferred us to the specific facility for more details, they told us prices had recently gone up (only about 2%).

BTW, the non-affiliated websites that allow someone to search for retirement facilities often blur out pricing information until one gives contact information. However, being the computer guy I am, I found that most of those sites do have the prices within the web page's source code. It just isn't displayed on the web page. :)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.