Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 6
“Bob Dole Doesn't Believe Trump's Ongoing Lie that Election Was Stolen: 'Not One Bit of Fraud'”
————————

Bob Dole’s 98th birthday was yesterday. It was rather muted: he’s been zapped by chemo for a stage 4 cancer diagnosis in February. He shared some of his views with USA Today.

He lost the election, and I regret that he did. He had Giuliani running all over, claiming fraud. He never had a single bit of fraud in all those lawsuits he filed. Dole conceded that he is "a Trumper, but that these days he is discouraged and "sort of Trumped-out." I don’t like to second-guess, but I believe we've lost something. I can't get my hand on it, but we're just not where we should be, as the greatest democracy in the world. I don't know how you correct it, but I keep hoping that there will be a change in my lifetime.

Shortly after his diagnosis, Dole says he was paid a visit by a former Senate colleague from the opposite side of the aisle. Joe Biden dropped by Dole's apartment to visit "bringing several of his grandchildren and staying for an hour and a half."

Dole said Biden, with whom he served in the Senate for more than two decades, is "a great, kind, upstanding, decent person.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/bob-dole-doesnt-believe-...
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
He's part of the reason Trump even got to the Presidency.
No. of Recommendations: 4
Dole conceded that he is "a Trumper, but that these days he is discouraged and "sort of Trumped-out." I don’t like to second-guess, but I believe we've lost something. I can't get my hand on it, but we're just not where we should be, as the greatest democracy in the world. I don't know how you correct it, but I keep hoping that there will be a change in my lifetime.

I hope there is a reckoning at some point. My sense is that over the next few generations, as older folks pass on and rural America gets drawn into reality - maybe kicking and screaming - as Democrats invest in their future vs keeping them poor and ignorant, "Reaganism" and trickle down will be seen as the mythology it is, and we can get on with the business of creating a more perfect union.
No. of Recommendations: 4
... My sense is that over the next few generations, as older folks pass on and rural America gets drawn into reality - maybe kicking and screaming - as Democrats invest in their future vs keeping them poor and ignorant, "Reaganism" and trickle down will be seen as the mythology it is, and we can get on with the business of creating a more perfect union.

I don't know if I ever was that much of an optimist, but I know I am not today. Today, I see no answer on the horizon as to how the US can stop the billionaire-backed GQP propaganda machine. Heck, Democrats can't even pass significant voter rights legislation or do anything to address our unequal justice system or make corrections to our grossly unfair tax and economic system. The Republicans are not in retreat despite being a minority party with no agenda that any working class voter should ever want. As long as Fox News and the rest of the right wing propaganda machine is allowed to simply spew lies and ignore stories of major GQP treachery, how will the cult followers ever get their heads unstuck from the echo chamber? I don't see that happening simply because Democrats think it should. The trickle down lie has been exposed over and over again but the fake news terrorists at Fox and elsewhere never allow their cult to see or understand those results. In fact, they claim all our economic issues are caused by Democrats opposition to their efforts to make America free . . . for all billionaires to exploit.
No. of Recommendations: 11
He lost the election, and I regret that he did.

The important takeaway is that Dole supported Trump. He spoke for him at the Republican convention. A once great American has became a Deplorable!
No. of Recommendations: 6
Bob Dole’s 98th birthday was yesterday. It was rather muted: he’s been zapped by chemo for a stage 4 cancer diagnosis in February. He shared some of his views with USA Today.

So Bob Dole is 98 years old ant there's so much on his bucket list that he's not yet able to leave.

Has he not yet been to Venice? Or the Galapagos Islands? Machu Picchu is out of the question. I'd think that if a man didn't head to Peru when he was at most 60. it didn't mean a lot to him.

I'm once again reminded of those few lines of Brideshead Revisted which gobsmaked me when I was not yet 40 -- The BBC version which aired on PBS many years ago, the one with Laurence Olivier. I can't quote this small scene but I think I've got the gist of it.
Lord Marchmain is dying, but slowly. The doctor has visited and Charles (Jeremy Irons) has walked the doctor to his car. In parting Charles observes that Marchmain "has a wonderful will to live." The doctor stops and replies "Do you think so? I'd have called it a remarkable fear of death."
Charles thinks briefly and responds to the doctor that "Surely, these are the same thing."
The doctor, with a wide experience of death declares that "Oh, no. They are very different."
I did Waugh no favor by trying to quote him but should get a trophy for trying, ;-}

Perhaps it's just a matter of knowing when the party is over and it's time to go home.