Why big down day...

Bear, I’m curious how you arrived at your decisions on which companies to add shares/allocation.

Ok, I’ll try to answer your questions.

You sold OKTA because you say it’s “expensive”. TTM EV/Sales at about 24, TTM growth in the low 50s, and 83% GMs. It’s also completely dominating its category. It’s also been improving Operating Margin.

Actually OKTA revenue only grew 49% last quarter. With an EV/Sales of 24, it’s relatively pricier than most of my others, which are growing revenue much faster (59% last quarter for AYX, 58% for ESTC, 62% for PINS, and even faster for TWLO, DDOG, and CRWD).

ESTC is growing faster (mid 60s) with 80% GMs and has a lower TTM EV/Sales at around 17 but profits are no where in sight…they sure are spending a lot.

Yes, they’re growing a lot faster than OKTA and they’re much cheaper by PS or EV/S.

DDOG has the highest TTM EV/Sales ratio of them all at around 37, 75% GMs and growth of 82%.

Pricier but growing 60% faster than OKTA! But this is my smallest and least confident position.

SMAR is growing in the high 50s (consistently for a year) with 81% GMs but profitability seems farther away.

I don’t care so much about when a company is likely to become profitable. I care that they can get there. Smartsheet knows what they’re doing. Growth has been very consistent at over 50%, and the PS ratio is currently below 20.

Let me know if that helps or if you have other questions about why I did what I did. The bolded statement above is probably the main answer to what I think you’re asking. I’m not concerned with how far a company is from profitability as long as I see them getting there easily.

Bear

21 Likes