Tesla switching to own autopilot hardware

Following advancements in autopilot is certainly an interesting topic, and it could end up applying very directly to a stock that many here on the board have been paying close attention to in NVidia.

I will be interested to see whether Tesla says anything next Wednesday evening (1/30/2019) about any plans to try to license this alleged improved hardware to any other manufacturers.

For much of Tesla’s history, people have touted that “Tesla isn’t just a car company”. With the tax credit having halved as of January 1st for buyers of Tesla vehicles (S, X, and 3) from $7,500 to $3,750 and with a further halving to $1,875 on deck for July 1st, the demand for Tesla vehicles in the U.S. seems to be a key metric. I have seen reports that approximately 15,000 to 16,000 orders have been placed in Europe so far for Model 3’s. That represents less than 4 months of Fremont’s production capability.

Will Tesla have sufficient internally generated cash flows to fund the Model Y, Roadster, and Semi development without getting a fresh infusion of new outside capital? That seems to me to be the key question in regards to Tesla as an investment. The year-over-year revenue gain from Q3 2017 to Q3 2018 was an outstanding number, but what will drive further revenue growth?

-TSLAQPodcast
Disclosure: short TSLA

1 Like