My brief investing story

Hi Jonathon,

I think you have gotten a lot of great responses to your post, I have been enjoying reading them along with you!
Although I dabbled in investing many years ago my serious investing journey started in Nov 2018.
Looking back, we now know that I was starting my buying when the market was going down. Of course we also know that that is a great time to be buying stocks! However it didn’t seem so great at the time as everything seemed to dropping as soon as I bought it, and there was a lot of red in my portfolio at that time. It was discouraging.
How am I doing now? I don’t keep meticulous records of my performance the way many in this community do so if you had asked me on any given day what my ytd performance was, I couldn’t have answered.
However, many others in this community have been posting phenomenal ytd results (over 100%), and I wanted to respond to your post, so I did a crude calculation. My result may not be dead on, but it’s close, and I am up approximately 98% ytd.
I really liked Dorset’s post about investing in other stocks as well the hyper-growth stocks followed on this board . Although this community does recommend concentrated portfolios (and has the evidence to back up that recommendation!), it also recommends each investor find and follow his or her own path.
When I sort my portfolio positions by market value, my top positions are familiar to this community:
SHOP, TTD, ZS, MDB, DDOG, OKTA, TWLO, AMZN, COUP, FSLY, AYX, ZM in that order, and they are all in the green.
The middle section of my portfolio are mostly stocks followed on this board, and stocks recommended by MF services. I have a few outlier stocks that I purchased which were neither recommended by this board nor MF at the time I purchased them (for example, UTHR). The middle section of my portfolio is a mix of green and red.
And finally the bottom section of my portfolio is anchored by a bright red section of Marijuana stocks!
My portfolio “bookends” are SHOP, up 524%, and MMNFF, down 94%. There is an MF saying that goes something like "a bad stock can only go down to zero, but a good stock can keep going up and become a multibagger; my “bookend” stocks illustrate that point!
Good luck on your investing journey!
Geoff

5 Likes