ESTC Q2 2021 CC notes

Hi Tex, you might be right about us being the only two!

I was a bit surprised with the comp between DDOG and ESTC to be honest. I always sort of thought that DDOG was knocking it out of the park vs ESTC not doing that well, whereas in reality they’re much closer than I thought. DDOG is certainly not 3 times the company, or 2 times the company that ESTC is as far as I can see.

The other comp I’m looking forward to is MDB, which IMO is worse positioned than ESTC, again at a much higher valuation.

re: ESTC, DDOG customers at the same time…

I think so. Elastic is a great (and easy) solution to a place for search, and to dump logs. DDOG is a great (and easy) solution for APM for example.

My belief is that as ESTCs products mature, they start to become “good enough”, for example security, and their resource-based pricing model I believe would become compelling.

ESTC and DDOG provide ‘electricity’ to your business. Theres no competitive advantage for your business, you’re just using them to keep the lights on. IMO, you don’t want to pay per user for electricity, you want to pay for how much electricity you’re using.

ESTC now seem to be tightening up their messaging around their 3 solutions. I still suspect their go-to-market is not super-efficient for top-down enterprise sales, so I’m hoping to see some progress there.

cheers
Greg

4 Likes