Goldman Sachs

GS is trading below book value.

2 Likes

GS is trading below book value.

This is an observation that has been true, at times,
every year of at least the last ten years.

Is something about to change?

3 Likes

Have their assets been marked down as in mark to market?

2 Likes

This is an observation that has been true, at times,
every year of at least the last ten years. Is something about to change?

I’ve not checked daily quotes of price/book over the past decade, but I suspect your assertion is true. What would seem to be relevant is what happened to the share price in the immediate aftermath of those instances. Did it rise?

At any rate, price/book was not below 1.0 for any year over the past decade other than 2012 and 2018, according to M*. And the stock has not been this undervalued, relative to M*'s DCF-based estimate of fair value, at any time since 2016 (which is as far back as the graph goes).

2 Likes

I’ve not checked daily quotes of price/book over the past decade, but I suspect your assertion is true. What would seem to be relevant is what happened to the share price in the immediate aftermath of those instances. Did it rise?

In most years, with 2012 the exception, the share price rose above book value — sometimes briefly — during the same calendar year. Often though the highest share price was just above book value.

Give history, an average expectation would be for the share price to top out at around $350 a share sometime during 2022. That’s a 19% return based on the current share price.

1 Like