The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Tax sheltering for retirement Date:  4/29/1997  3:24 AM
Author:  MicroDrew Number:  21 of 90803

I am looking to start a regular investment scheme for retirement. I already do the Fool 4 and UG5 (yes I lost on COMS) but in a regular account. Since I earn my salary in yen and it's under $70k, I am currently claiming the foreign earned income exemption, but that is ALL of my earned income; according to my tax accountant this leaves me ineligible for not only deductible IRA contributions but non-deductible ones as well.

So. I'm 26 and I'm looking for some tax-deferred alternative to IRAs. Because of my contract-employee status at my company, I am not eligible for their retirement program (wouldn't want a bunch of 1.5% money-markets anyway). Are my alternatives limited to things like municipal bonds and other mild-return stuff? Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us