The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/ltlti-know-that-the-basis-of-stocks-received-10058545.aspx

Subject:  Re: Inherited Stocks Date:  12/2/1997  9:15 PM
Author:  TMFTaxes Number:  788 of 129196

<<I know that the basis of stocks received from an inheritance is the value of the stock on the date of
death. I have two questions though.

1) Lots of web sites give current stock values. Are there any that give you values for specific dates
in the past. I have found graphs of 6-month histories, but cannot read from them the specific values.
I'd like to enter a stock and a date and read the data.>>

Sorry, but I don't have any information on a web site that you might be able to use to meet your requirements. Perhaps somebody else around here will be able to help you out. If you DO use a broker, simply pick up the phone and ask him/her. They should be able to provide you with that date.

<< 2) Does the 18 month capital gains treatment apply to inherited stocks. When does the clock start
ticking? At the day of death or the day of transfer?>>

Yup...in fact inherited stock get a big break. As amended by the Technical Corrections bill, inherited property (including stock) sold after a decedent's death can be reported as a disposition of property held for more than 18 months, regardless of how long the beneficiary actually holds the property. Good news.

Hope this helps...
TMF Taxes
Roy
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us