The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Convert I.R.ANNUITY? Date:  1/27/1998  4:13 PM
Author:  foolanders Number:  1494 of 90547

On 4/1/85, my wife bought a $2,000 Individual Retirement ANNUITY from her good friend who worked for Minnesota Mutual. No further contributions have been made. Yesterday, we received her annual statement showing the account had grown from $4,382.51 to $4,592.87 during 1997--a whopping 4.8% annual return. Can we roll this thing into her just-created Roth at Ameritrade? Or into a separate Roth with Vanguard where she has her 403b? I assume we'll have to pay tax on the $2,592.87 gain, right? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us