The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Wages as a student worker Date:  3/7/1998  7:46 PM
Author:  tc001 Number:  2483 of 128041

<Are wages earned while attending college as a student worker taxable?>

Of course they are! Otherwise we'd spend the rest of our lives going to college to avoid taxes ;)

However, you *may not* have to file if you meet certain requirements. These are listed under (you guessed it) "Filing Requirements" in the instruction booklet for the 1040/1040A/1040EZ tax returns. Pick one up at the post office or library and look at it.

The basic rule is that no return is necessary if you had under $6800 in income as a single filer, or under $4150 of *earned* income if someone (your parents) claims you as a dependent
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us