The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Investment in Real Estate Date:  3/9/1998  10:40 AM
Author:  TMFTaxes Number:  2516 of 127986

[[I sold some stock. Invested the proceeds from the sale into real estate for rental property. Do I
have to claim the Capitol Gains? Or, how is the best way to handle it?]]

If you sold the stock, you must report the gain or loss in the year that the shares were sold. There is no provision for you to "roll over" the gain on the sale into real property.

TMF Taxes
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us