The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Keeping pension non-taxable? Date:  4/18/1998  8:44 AM
Author:  JeanDavid Number:  2920 of 90489

<My wife recently changed jobs and we have to do something with her pension money from the old job.
It isn't a lot (~20k) but I would like to keep it's non tax status, at the same time I want to go into something more aggressive, My problem is, I don't have a clue. We have another 10 years before I retire from the state of Michigan. Can anyone help?>

Sure: First look at URL:

for help on choosing a stock broker (if you do not have one with which you are completely satisfied), and set up an self-directed IRA or a Roth-IRA. Then do a custodian-to-custodian transfer of the account from the old account to this. In the new IRA you will be able to trade any stocks, bonds, or mutual funds you wish. No margin, no options, no precious metals except U.S.Eagles (and they are a bad deal in an IRA). If the money is in a defined benefit plan, you may not be able to get the money out.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us