The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/ltgive-this-a-lot-of-thought-before-you-take-the-10164882.aspx

Subject:  Re: Roth IRA transfer Date:  4/27/1998  11:02 AM
Author:  JeanDavid Number:  3071 of 95768

<Give this a lot of thought before you take the leap. Remember, if you decide to not rollover, you can always chage your mind later and do it. But if you rollover now, you can never change your mind an undo it.>

While I agree with everything Ray has said here, you should not overlook that it is quite likely (not to be confused with certain) that you will be in a higher tax bracket when you retire than you are now. While your salary will drop to $0 (unless you have a pension plan, perhaps a defined benefit plan), if you have started early enough and used Foolish investing methods, you may find you have a very large pile of money ($1 million to $2.5 million) at the end, and taking 5% of it out every year could easily put you into a higher bracket.

OTOH, as I think Ray wants you to keep in mind, my favorite quote from Mark Twain goes: No one's money is safe while the legislature is in session.
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us