The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Fool Community Help Desk / Fools on the Air

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/fooldom-gets-dissed-in-newsweek-10202144.aspx

Subject:  Fooldom Gets Dissed in Newsweek Date:  6/10/1998  11:24 AM
Author:  StubbedToe Number:  22 of 3253

So, did anyone else stumble upon Ellyn E. Spragins' article in the June 15 Newsweek ("The Creatures of the Bull," p. 72)?

Regrettably, this otherwise worthwhile piece of skepticism about the financial press lumps Fooldom in with sundry other "media gurus [who] won't shut up," and who are (by implication) merely lucky to be riding the wave of a bull market and hype. The Dow Dividend approach is dismissed as a "gimmicky" investment technique, and (curiously) the use of PE ratios and growth rates are found to be "tired old tools." Worse, The Fool is castigated for "extremism [that] is ideological," given that the Gardners and other Fools "breezily dismiss" all mutual funds other than index funds.

I'm not looking to incite a tacky little cat fight on your debut show, and I'm sure Ye Founding Fools have developed awfully thick skin by now, but I'd love to hear an artful but frank reply that will help Ms. Spragins see the light.

Good luck with the show! I'll be listening on KFI in LA!

StubbedToe

Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us