The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/the-best-i-can-do-is-fidelity-spartan-us-equity-10256773.aspx

Subject:  Re: I have to invest in sucko mutual funds? Date:  7/28/1998  8:46 PM
Author:  Nizac Number:  4721 of 92645

The best I can do is Fidelity Spartan US Equity index fund.

If this is the Fidelity Spartan Market Index (S&P 500) fund (FSMKX) then at a cursory glance it doesn't look too bad. On a chart with the Vanguard 500 (VFINX) and SSgA S&P500 (SVSPX) it lies just between them over a 3 year period.

It appears to have no 12b-1 fee, and an expense ratio of 0.44%, plus a redemption fee of 0.50%, which is a lot cheaper than the vast majority of mutual funds.

You should check with your plan administrator about the expenses, because in at least one 401(k) I have had, the plan absorbed some of the fund expenses.

Your plan administrator is also the person who can tell you whether you can transfer any funds out of your 401(k) without having to leave their employment first. The answer is probably no, so I would try and be thankful that you at least have the option of an index fund within your 401(k).
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us