The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: WHAT TO DO WITH MY 401K Date:  9/3/1998  2:29 PM
Author:  jvanscoy Number:  5316 of 90133

<<<I need to find how to convert my 401k into a
IRA so i can get my money into an INDEX FUND that has lower fees...and so I have more control
over my money..>>>

If all you want is an index fund, Vanguard has the lowest costs of any. You would just get an IRA kit from Vanguard and open an IRA account with them. Then direct your company to transfer your 401k to the Vanguard account. If you want to buy stocks as well, you would need to open an IRA account with a discount broker who also sells mutual funds. I use Waterhouse. They have Vanguard and many other mutual funds available.

Regards, Jim
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us