The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Thanks to TMFPixy & Bob78164 Date:  9/18/1998  8:55 AM
Author:  cameron Number:  5495 of 99243

Again, there is nothing you can do now to avoid paying a tax later, if they institute it. But you can avoid paying a tax now, by not converting. Note: this applies to the conversion question, not to making new contributions to a Roth.


I have been thinking about your opposition to converting to a Roth. Why should your position be any different for making new contributions? Or are you assuming that any new contributions to a traditional IRA would be nondeductible because of participation in a 401(k) or other retirement plan at work? Seems to me if you assume someone could make a deductible IRA contribution, you would encourage that over a Roth contribution as well.

Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us