The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: I have an IRA, what next? Date:  9/26/1998  11:01 AM
Author:  TMFPixy Number:  5653 of 100431

Xxdusty writes:

I have an existing traditional IRA (a small part of which I will convert to a Roth this year) and no retirement plan at my full time job. I often do freelance work, 1099misc, that amounts to between $2000-$5000 a year.
Am I eligible to contribute to Keoghs/SEPs/Simple/etc.
while still adding $2000 a year to my IRA/Roth???

I've looked at the retirement plans page on this site, but can't seem to deduce whether the SEP/Simple would be included in "the total yearly $2000 contribution to all IRAs".

I know I can put money in taxable account, but wanted to see if I could sock away a little extra a year either tax deferred or tax deductible.

Yes, your 1099 income makes you eligible for a Keogh, SEP or SIMPLE for part of that income. You should get and read IRS Publication 560, Retirement Plans of Small Business, which you can download at . You can also read a brief description of these plans in my Foolish Retirement Plan Primer at: .

401k plans and Keoghs/SEPs/SIMPLEs count only in determining whether an annual IRA contribution to a traditional IRA can be deducted for income tax purposes. If you meet AGI limits for your filing status, then you may contribute up to $2K per year to a Roth IRA. Further, you may always make a nondeductible contribution to a traditional IRA regardless of your AGI. A deduction for a traditional IRA when using a Keogh/SEP/SIMPLE is subject to phaseout based on the AGI for your filing status.


Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us