The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/start-a-sep-again-10340781.aspx

Subject:  Start a SEP again? Date:  9/26/1998  9:03 PM
Author:  KCofMaine Number:  5666 of 100110

A few years ago, as a self employed person, I had a SEP (Simplified Employee Pension plan). No employees except myself.

I decided I wasn't putting enough in to fool with a SEP, so I converted it to an IRA, and took out an IRA for my wife too.

Along came the Roth IRA. I converted my wife's IRA to a Roth IRA. I left my traditional IRA alone and stopped making contributions to is. I also began a Roth IRA for myself.

Economics are better for me now and I can put more into a SEP now, considerably more than I can my Roth IRA.

QUESTION: May I start another SEP?? If "yes," then...

1. Can I do both a Roth IRA for me and a SEP?

2. Must I stop the Roth IRA before beginning a SEP?

3. If I stopped contributing to the Roth IRA, and started up a new SEP, could I invest the maximum allowable SEP contribution based on this year's income figures...even though I have contributed 3/4ths of my allowable Roth IRA contribution for the year?? OR, must my SEP contribution be the difference between what I could have given into a SEP and what I have already given into my Roth IRA?

Thanks, in advance, for any help.

KCofMaine
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us