The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/rollover-to-roth-for-59-yr-old-10373914.aspx

Subject:  Rollover to ROTH for 59-yr-old Date:  10/19/1998  4:27 PM
Author:  asimpatico Number:  6099 of 103843

My mother retired early this year, and has $6500 earned income and will have about $6500 investment income. This places her in the 15% bracket. I am thinking of advising her to rollover $40k in dedctible IRA's to Roths, which will add $10k to her income for 4 years. As long as her investment income stays within $15k for the next 3 years, which it will, she will pay 15% in taxes on the rolled over funds. She has enough in other IRA and non-IRA investments to probably place her in a higher tax bracket in her lifetime. So this is a strategy to reduce some of her tax burden, and to give her better withdrawal options from IRA's.

Is this a sound strategy? With the drop in the market, the current value of the rollover candidates are lower, making it an attractive option right now. I haven't come up with any big negatives. My mother does have enough cash flow to support the additional tax burden or estimated payments. I would welcome comments, especially supportive. :-)

Thanks,
ASimpatico
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us