The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/first-off-id-like-to-hear-what-percentage-of-10405547.aspx

Subject:  Re: What % to save for the big R? Date:  11/9/1998  12:44 PM
Author:  ahatcher Number:  6516 of 102708

First off, I'd like to hear what percentage of your incomes you Fools save, and why.

My wife and I max out our 401(k)'s and IRA's every year. Save an additional $1100/month for ourselves and $450/month for children's education.

We hope to have about 1/2 of the children's college expenses saved in their name by the time they go to college. The rest will come out of general funds. The general fund is also used to pay cash for cars, vacations and other major expenses. The rest is intended to cover early retirement (before funds can be withdrawn from 401(k) and IRA's.

Our plan is to retire in 12-16 years (at age 46-50). Sometime between when the youngest child enters and graduates from college.

We are both engineers, so saving this money is not a huge burden for us. We were Foolish early, we never got in trouble with credit cards and have paid cash for all our cars (except one).
--
Andy

Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us